Who we are
brighterway supports the work of the Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust General Fund, raising money for projects that:
- Enhancing patient & families experience of care
- Tackling the stigma and discrimination in mental health and learning disability
- Empowering older people to live the best life they can
- Equipping and supporting our staff to provide the best care We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, when you engage with our social media or message boards, make a donation to us, register for an event or otherwise provide us with personal information. When you register, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address and telephone number to store with your account.
- Information we get from your use of our website and services. We collect information about the services you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on YouTube, visit our websites or view and interact with our content.
- Information from third parties. We may also receive information about you from third parties. This can include information such as your name, postal address, email address, phone number, your geographic location (for mobile devices), credit/debit card details and whether you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid. We, like all companies, are able to confirm what browser you are using, IP address and computer operating systems that are being used and this information may be used to improve the services we offer
Wherever possible we use aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify individual visitors to our website. See below, under Marketing materials – to understand our purposes for processing your personal information.
Data Protection law recognises that certain categories of personal information are more sensitive. This is known as sensitive personal data and covers health information, race, religious beliefs and political opinions. We do not usually collect ‘sensitive personal data’ about our supporters unless there is a clear reason for doing so, such as participation in a marathon or similar fundraising event or where we need this information to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in an event.
We may also collect sensitive personal data if you make the information public or if you tell us about your experiences at Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, however we will always make it clear to you when we collect this information from you, what sensitive personal data we are collecting and why.
Making a donation
To enable us to process donations we will collect basic payment information provided to us via our supporter leaflet. If you are eligible for UK Gift Aid, we may also ask you to confirm your UK home address.
Communications from us
By signing up as a brighterway supporter, you consent to receiving communications from us either by email or direct mail, in accordance to your communication preference.
You can unsubscribe from receiving electronic messages by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in our communication. If you would like to unsubscribe from direct mail, please contact the brighterway team by calling 023 8087 4305 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Our email communications are sent using MailChimp. Mailchimp is an email address management and message sending service provided by Mailchimp Inc. personal data collected by Mailchimp is email addresses. Mailchimp will also collect data on your interactions with our email communications, including open and click rates.
Mailchimp data is processed in the U.S., however the company adheres to the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework. The U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework provides guidance for U.S. organisations on how to provide adequate protection for personal data from the EU as required by the European Union’s Directive on Data Protection.
In addition, if you register on our website then the following will also apply:
- The brighterway website collects personal information when you register with us.
- The website can collect information such as your name, email address and post code.
- As part of the registration process and continued use of brighterway services, you agree that any registration information you give to brighterway will always be accurate, correct and up to date. Please do get in touch should you need to amend any of your personal information.
- We collect and retain information about your interactions with us so that we can process your interactions and deal with future queries.
In certain instances, we collect and use your personal information by relying on the legitimate interest legal basis. This is because when you, for example, request to receive services or products from brighterway, we have a legitimate organisational interest to use your personal information to respond to you and there is no overriding prejudice to you by using your personal information for this purpose. This is also the case where we process your donations in support of brigherway’s objectives, for our internal administrative purposes, and where we need to take steps to protect our network security or risk of fraud.
In most instances, however, we will rely on obtaining your consent to our use of your personal information. This is the case, for example, where we seek to obtain your consent to receive email marketing about brighterway.
We want to ensure you receive the level of information about brighterway that is right for you
If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message. By subscribing to brighterway emails or opting in to email communication from brighterway, you grant us the right to use the email for both email marketing purposes and advertisement targeting
If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information. We also actively check telephone numbers against the Telephone Preference Service and will only make telephone calls to you where your telephone number is listed on the TPS if you have specifically told us that you do not object to such calls and have consented to receive them.
Photographs sent to us from our community events will assume consent was given at the time the photograph was taken. Please contact us if you wish any image to be removed.
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please indicate your preferences on the form on which we collect your data.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time (including telling us that you don’t want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or by post) by contacting us on 023 8087 4305 or emailing email@example.com
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes.
We carry out targeted fundraising activity to ensure that we are contacting you with the most appropriate communication, which is relevant and timely and will ultimately provide an improved experience for you. In doing so, we may use profiling techniques or use third party wealth screening companies and insight companies to provide us with general information about you. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you or information that you have already provided to us.
This activity assists us in understanding the background of the people who support us and helps us to make appropriate requests to supporters who may have the means and the want to give more. You can opt out of your data being used for profiling and wealth screening techniques by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipients – Information and disclosure
brighterway may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To third parties who provide a service to us and are data processors. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, and other entities that act as fundraisers for brighterway, or provide brighterway information and marketing (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. We enter into contracts with all of our data processors and regularly monitor their activities to ensure they are complying with brigherway policies and procedures.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect brighterway, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
Rest assured, we will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data.
Events and Under 18s
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with us. Our fundraising events also request specific information about the age of participants. If you are under 18 and would like to get involved, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information. When we collect information about a child or young person aged under 18 we will make it very clear as to the reasons for collecting this information and how it will be used.
We are committed to protecting vulnerable supporters.
Inappropriate website content
If you post or send any content that we believe to be inappropriate, offensive or in breach of any laws, such as defamatory content on our forums or social media pages, we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your internet provider or law enforcement agencies.
Keeping your personal information
We keep your personal information only for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner.
Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed onto your device by some websites that you visit. They are widely used to improve the performance of a website, for saving different options and to provide website owners with information on how the site is being used.
Your ability to edit and delete your account information preferences
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. If you would like to change your preferences or update the details we hold about you other than online, please contact us by either email: email@example.com, or telephone 023 8087 4268 or write to us at brighterway, Tatchbury Mount, Calmore, Totton, Hampshire, SO40 2RZ.
Your rights to your personal information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation and UK Data Protection Act 2018 you have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to request us to erase your personal information, request us to restrict our processing of your personal information or to object to our processing of your personal information.
Should you wish to exercise these rights we require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. Please address requests to the Head of Charity, brighterway, Tatchbury Mount, Calmore, Totton, Hampshire, SO40 2RZ and we will respond within 40 days, of receipt of your written request and confirmed ID. Please provide as much information as possible about the nature of your contact with us to help us locate your records.
Where you have provided your consent for our use of your personal information, you always have a right to withdraw your consent at any time.
We may update the terms of this policy at any time, so please do check it from time to time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address you have provided to us or by placing a prominent notice on our website(s). By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Complaints compliments or comments
If you are unhappy with our work or something that we have done or failed to do, we want to know about it. We also welcome your views on what we do well. Your comments enable us as an organisation to learn and continuously improve our services.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or write to brighterway, Sterne 7, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust, Tatchbury Mount, Calmore, Southampton, SO40 2RZ.